Who Can Apply?
Bright Lights needs approximately 250 class assistants for the summer program. Current and rising high school students (completed 8th-12th grade as of June 1, 2019), college students, and adults are welcome to apply. College education majors are also encouraged to consider this opportunity. College students will receive a certificate of appreciation suitable for portfolios and resumes.
The online application form will be available on this website beginning March 1, 2019.
Please DO NOT use your LPS or school email address as you will not receive a confirmation email from us. This address is not a valid email address.
How to Apply
It will take about 15 minutes to complete the online application. The application requests basic information and availability as well as the name, address and phone numbers of two references. Applicants should consider or take into account their personal vacation dates, job schedules, camps, and other activities when applying. A background check will be required of all applicants new to the program who are 19 years of age and older by June 1 of the program year. Applicants under 18 will need a parent's consent.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible. This allows Bright Lights to better accommodate an applicant's choice of session(s) and time(s). Candidates with a broader date and interest range give Bright Lights greater flexibility of placement. Candidates will be notified of their application status by May 15.
Class Assistants will be assigned a variety of of responsibilities during the program week. Some of these responsibilities may include small-group work, reading to students, preparing materials, coordinating games on the playground, and working with individual students.
A responsibility list will be sent to the assistant with his/her assignment, including the teacher’s name and contact information, before the summer session. The assistant should contact the teacher prior to the beginning of his/her class.
Class Assistant responsibilities include:
- Attending a 90-minute orientation. This orientation is required for first- and second-year assistants and will provide safety procedures and tips for working with young students. See the Class Assistant Calendar for orientation dates.
- Helping the teacher prepare the classroom on setup day (generally the Friday prior to the program week).
- Arriving and working with the teacher 15 minutes before class and 15 minutes after class.
- Helping clean up and move out of the classroom at the conclusion of the program week.
Convictions that disqualify class assistants:
- Any drug distribution activity or felony drug possession
- Any sexual offense
- Assault, including domestic violence-related incidents
- Child abuse, molestation, or other crime involving endangerment of a minor
- Any other felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
For questions about this rewarding opportunity or about class assistant placement, please contact Jodi at 402-420-1115 Ext. 49 or email ClassAssist@BrightLights.org.