Who Can Apply?
Bright Lights Camp Assistants play a valuable role in our summer program. Their commitment helps support the teachers, ensures student success, and provides a rewarding experience that makes a difference in the classroom.
We will be recruiting over 150 Camp Assistants for Summer 2022! Summer is a great time to complete volunteer hours for GOPO, service hours for the parochial schools, or other service project hours. To earn 15 hours toward GOPO or service hours, assistants must attend the orientation, assist the teacher with classroom setup, and be in attendance for the full program week. Positions include office and classroom camp assistants as well as before care and lunch care duties as assigned.
Rising high school students who have completed 8th grade by June 1, 2022, college students, adults, and those needing GOPO/volunteer hours are welcome to assist with summer camps. Weeklong summer opportunities assisting with camps are available by applying for a Camp Assistant position. A background check will be required of volunteers 19 years and older. Be sure to check back in 2022 for Camp Assistant Registration information and complete our Camp Assistant Interest form so we can follow up with you.
Please DO NOT use your LPS or school email address as you will not receive a confirmation email from us. This address is not a valid email address.
How to Apply
It will take about 15 minutes to complete the online application. The application requests basic information about the applicant and their availability as well as the name, address and phone numbers of two references. Applicants should take into account their personal vacation dates, job schedules, camps, and other activities when applying. A background check will be required of all new applicants who are 19 years of age and older by June 1 of the program year. Applicants under 18 will need a parent's consent.
Applications should be submitted as soon after the application opening date as possible. This allows Bright Lights to better accommodate an applicant's choice of session(s) and time(s).
Camp Assistants will be assigned a variety of of responsibilities during the program week. Some of these responsibilities may include small-group work, reading to students, preparing materials, coordinating games on the playground, and working with individual students.
Camp assignments will be sent to the Camp Assistant, along with the teacher's name and contact information, a few weeks before the program week. The assistant should contact the teacher prior to Set-up Day, which is typically the Friday before a camp week.
Camp Assistant responsibilities include:
- Attending a 90-minute orientation. This orientation is required for first- and second-year assistants and will provide safety procedures and tips for working with young students. See the Camp Assistant Calendar for orientation dates.
- Helping the teacher prepare the classroom on setup day (generally the Friday prior to the program week).
- Arriving and working with the teacher 15 minutes before class and 15 minutes after camp.
- Helping clean up and move out of the classroom at the conclusion of the program week.
Convictions that disqualify camp assistants:
- Any drug distribution activity or felony drug possession
- Any sexual offense
- Assault, including domestic violence-related incidents
- Child abuse, molestation, or other crime involving endangerment of a minor
- Any other felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
For questions about this rewarding opportunity or about camp assistant placement, please contact Jodi at 402-420-1115 Ext. 49 or email CampAssist@BrightLights.org.