Applications will be accepted starting March 2, 2020!
Who Can Apply?
Current and rising high school students (completed 8th-12th grade as of June 1, 2020), college students, and adults are welcome to apply for this volunteer opportunity. College education majors are also encouraged to apply. Approximately 250 camp assistant assignments are available, and assistants can request more than one assignment.
Please DO NOT use your LPS or school email address as you will not receive a confirmation email from us. This address is not a valid email address.
How to Apply
It will take about 15 minutes to complete the online application. The application requests basic information about the applicant and their availability as well as the name, address and phone numbers of two references. Applicants should take into account their personal vacation dates, job schedules, camps, and other activities when applying. A background check will be required of all new applicants who are 19 years of age and older by June 1 of the program year. Applicants under 18 will need a parent's consent.
Applications should be submitted as soon after the application opening date (March 2, 2020) as possible. This allows Bright Lights to better accommodate an applicant's choice of session(s) and time(s).
Camp Assistants will be assigned a variety of of responsibilities during the program week. Some of these responsibilities may include small-group work, reading to students, preparing materials, coordinating games on the playground, and working with individual students.
Camp assignments will be sent to the Camp Assistant, along with the teacher's name and contact information, a few weeks before the program week. The assistant should contact the teacher prior to Set-up Day, which is typically the Friday before a camp week.
Camp Assistant responsibilities include:
- Attending a 90-minute orientation. This orientation is required for first- and second-year assistants and will provide safety procedures and tips for working with young students. See the Camp Assistant Calendar for orientation dates.
- Helping the teacher prepare the classroom on setup day (generally the Friday prior to the program week).
- Arriving and working with the teacher 15 minutes before class and 15 minutes after class.
- Helping clean up and move out of the classroom at the conclusion of the program week.
Convictions that disqualify camp assistants:
- Any drug distribution activity or felony drug possession
- Any sexual offense
- Assault, including domestic violence-related incidents
- Child abuse, molestation, or other crime involving endangerment of a minor
- Any other felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
For questions about this rewarding opportunity or about class assistant placement, please contact Jodi at 402-420-1115 Ext. 49 or email CampAssist@BrightLights.org.