Besides our amazing office and summer staff, we have another group that works hard for us: Our board members!
The Bright Lights board of directors is made up of people from our community who share our mission for offering hands-on summer learning to K-8th grade students. They volunteer their time and talents to Bright Lights throughout the year.
Why consider being a Bright Lights board member?
People’s reasons vary, but have included:
- Family: They have been a Bright Lights family for many years and would like to support the organization beyond registering students for camps.
- Community: They are connected to the community and know what Bright Lights means to so many students and families each year and want to help guide the organization.
- Former Student: They were a Bright Lights kid themselves and know exactly what it meant to them to be part of the hands-on learning that Bright Lights has proudly provided for more than 35 summers.
- Community-Minded: They were looking for a way to contribute to the community that will not include selling cookie dough or writing a huge check.
- Love Bright Lights: They just really like Bright Lights and would like to help in ways that utilizes their unique gifts and skills.
What is involved in being a Bright Lights board member?
- Agreeing to a three-year term.
- Attending six board meetings a year for approximately 1 hour each.
- Serving on one Bright Lights committee, which meets approximately 6 to 8 times a year.
- Participating in all Bright Lights events and using both your time and treasures to support the fundraising efforts of Bright Lights.
What does the board of directors need?
It's pretty simple: We need people who support Bright Lights and want to help guide the organization into the future. We need people who will use their skills, voice, connections and sometimes their manpower to get the word out about what we do. We're not the kind of board where you write a big check and never attend a meeting.
Right now, we would specifically love to have new board members with education or teaching backgrounds or strong community connections along with a collaborative spirit.
How do you apply to join the Bright Lights board?
Simply reach out to Lori Paulsen, executive director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a quick form to fill out and a board member job description will be provided so expectations are clear. The current board will meet in May to vote on new board members and their terms will begin in July of 2022.
We are incredibly blessed right now to have an amazing board of directors and we simply want to enhance it with some wonderful new people. If that’s you, we’d love to hear from you!