Do you know a teen who is engaging, friendly, fun-loving and can relate to Bright Lights’ mission of providing unique, motivating, hands-on learning opportunities beyond the classroom?
Eighth-graders and up who meet that description are invited to volunteer with us this summer! Along with learning right alongside our campers, Camp Assistants gain resume-worthy experience for that next volunteer or work opportunity, cultivate valuable communication skills, and log valuable service hours. Being a Camp Assistant is also a great way to explore a career as an educator.
Both half-day and full-day camps are available for Summer 2022. New this year is our main camp site -- Roper Elementary, 2323 S. Coddington Ave. Additional camps will be held at various community sites. See the Camp Schedule for a complete listing.
After applying, Camp Assistants will be assigned to one or more camps, based on their availability and interests. A mandatory orientation acclimates them to the position and gives them an opportunity to ask questions. Additional resources, like the Camp Assistant Manual, Expectations and list of Day-to-Day Responsibilities, will be available to them on our site.
Camp Assistant candidates are expected to have consistent attendance, be able to assist in a supervisory role, show initiative, relate well to children and respond respectfully to adult direction.
Applying to be a Camp Assistant? Here are a few tips:
- Check your summer schedule and pinpoint the week(s) you can volunteer. Be sure to take into account family vacations, other camps you are attending and work schedules.
- Browse the Camp Schedule to find camps of interest (and their locations). Choose camps with students at least two grades younger than your current grade.
- Collect the names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of two references so you can list them on your application.
- Provide a personal email address that you or a parent check frequently (not a Lincoln Public Schools address) and your T-shirt size (S, M, L, etc.).
- Be specific about your skills and interests as well as the grades you prefer to work with.
- Indicate if you are interested in helping with Before Care or Lunch Duty as an extra assignment.
- Apply early for the best chance of getting placed in the camps/sessions you request.
- Watch for an immediate email confirming your registration and save it. Then be on the lookout for a separate email in April or May notifying you of your specific camp assignment.