What can a person gain after spending a week volunteering as a Bright Lights Camp Assistant for one of our summer camps? Skills that will be beneficial now and last a lifetime!
- A better understanding of how to relate to adults and kids alike.
- A discovery of strengths they didn’t know they had.
- The realization that they can make a positive impact through an act of volunteerism.
...And so much more!
This year we will once again have spots for about 150 Camp Assistants. Many of the positions are located at our new main site--Roper Elementary at 2323 Coddington Ave-- but some are at our community partner locations such as Lux Middle School and Southwest High School.
The majority of our Camp Assistants pick a topic area they like (science, art, literature, etc) and are assigned to help in a specific camp where they support the teacher and campers, assisting with small- and large-group activities, setting and cleaning up and providing general supervision.
Some volunteer in specialist areas like our camp office, where they have less direct contact with campers. They collect attendance sheets, escort students, prepare water coolers for recess, distribute camp T-shirts and fill in for absent classroom Camp Assistants. Any Camp Assistant can request to help in our Before Care and Lunch Care programs as well.
For some Camp Assistants, volunteering for one of our half-day camps is the right fit. Others take on a full-day camp or do multiple camps over the summer.
Who can be a Camp Assistant you ask? Adults can volunteer but so can any student who is completing eighth grade or older! Registration for these positions will open on March 15 at BrightLights.org.
While waiting for our Camp Assistant registration to open, here’s a few things you can do to get ready:
- Fill out the Interest Form on our website so we know to expect you.
- Check out our Summer 2022 camp schedule to see what camps might be of most interest to you.
- Find two people who can be references for you. (You will need to provide their name, email address and phone number when you register, so save that information some place handy!)
Referrals from family, friends, teachers, counselors and students are welcome. And we’ll be sharing more information about the Camp Assistant program on our social media channels as well as with contacts at local schools. But if you have any questions about the program, please contact me-- Jodi Fuson, Bright Lights Camp Assistant Specialist-- at email@example.com or 402-420-1115, ext. 49.